Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Team People's Pisgah trip


The last couple years I have joined some friends on a trip to Pisgah. The trip is filled with some big rides that include plenty of elevation. With the races that I have planned for this year, I decided to take my SS for the trip. I normally have a hard time keeping up with the group, but if I hope to have any chance at finishing a couple of the races on the list, I knew I needed to see what I could do.

This year we did things a little different and rented a house so we could all stay together. The group was bigger than the last two years and the house worked out great. It let us all start together easier with out having to meet someplace and it also gave us some more hang out time in the evening. We could also fix what each of us wanted for breakfast and not having to put up with hotel food. It also helped to have a full size fridge to hold all the beer too.



As it turned out there was also a group of women that were having a Pisgah trip at the same time. We knew a couple of them and after running in to several at different times throughout the week, we ended up knowing most of them by the end of the trip.


The first day we all arrived fairly close to the same time. We got settled in to the house and headed out for a ride. We rode from the ranger station and did the big M loop. It was a shorter ride, but it was what I needed to stretch the legs out from the drive. The climb up to Presley gap is always an eye opener after riding in Indiana and the Black Mtn down hill never disappoints.


Black Mountain


The next day we rode from the house. This time we went all the way up Clawhammer to the stairs. We then headed up the stairs on to upper Black to Buckwheat then Bennett. There was some hiking involved, but that is nothing new for this area. After that loop we headed down the road to the Fish Hatchery. We then took the fire lane up to Bracken. This was a 8 mile climb that was tough, but it also had a few spots that eased up some, so you could recover. This was my first time on Bracken Mtn. and boy was it fun!! It was full of berms and little rollers that made it hard to keep your tires on the ground. Lots of smiles for how tired I was.



Buckhorn Shelter
The next day we parked at the Turkey Pen parking lot, or well as close to it as we could get with the road being closed. We headed up Mullinax to Laurel Creek and over to 5015. I knew this road would be a long haul, but it didn't seem quite as bad as the last time I was up it. We continued down the road to Laurel Mtn. I knew this section would be a real test for me with one gear, but I made it through. The last hike a bike section really hurt, but when does it not? After a short break at the top, we headed down the switch back alley of Pilot Rock. I won't say it was the most that I have ever rode, but I am pretty happy with my effort. I took it a little on the cautious side, but ended up keeping the rubber side down. This was a lot better than the last time I was there.


Pilot Rock - No easy way to here and once you are here, no easy way back







Once we made it to the bottom, we then headed toward the gauging station on Wolf Ford road. We continued on across Squirrel and back toward Mullinax and Turkey Pen. This section is never easy and when you ride it and after doing the Laurel/Pilot loop it is even worse. I must say that I was very happy with how well I rode Squirrel. It was probably the best that I have ever rode this section. I could tell I was getting wore out as we neared the end. The climb back up to Turkey Pen hurt really bad. Overall I am very pleased with my effort for the day. I had PR's on almost every section and the ones I didn't were areas that we took a break.




Brevard Brewing
The last day was supposed to be another easier day. We had a couple extras join us and several of the lady's also joined us for the first part of the ride. They were not sure how to get to Butter the way we were going so it all worked out. The big group headed up the road climb toward Butter and then down the trail to the Fish Hatchery. Once we were there and regrouped, grabbed a bite and filled water bottles, then we went our separate ways. They wanted to head back down to the horse stables and up to Presley Gap and down Black. The new guys in our group had not been on Bracken, so we headed back up the 8 mile climb to enjoy another trip down Bracken. I was completely fine with that. It was less road and less technical down hill, but more flowy riding that I tend to do better with anyway.

Fish Hatchery

Heading up the 8 mile climb

Heading back in to town from Bracken


After we got back to the house, we changed and after a little bit we decided to join the others at the Hub for a drink. Good times were had by all and eventually we had to figure out how we were getting back to the house. Thankfully we hitched a ride and all went well.


Don't ask Jeff who won, but he did have some great support
It was decided that since it was St. Patty's day, we all needed to go to an Irish Pub for dinner. It took a little bit to get a table, but lots of laughs were had at the bar. It was a great night to finish the trip off. I am sure everyone had a blast, some maybe a little more that others LOL. The evening finished off a great week of laughs and good times. The legs were heavy from all the climbing, but that is why we were here. This is always a fun time and I end up hurting from laughing so much. It is great to forget about all the stresses and just relax. I have to say that this was the best year yet and that is saying something.

I am very happy with how well I rode. I would have been happy no matter what bike I was on, but I was even more happy since I did so well on my SS. It gives me hope that I can do it. I still have a long way I can go, but I am heading in the right direction. I still can't explain it, but the trend continues that I have my best rides with I am on my SS. The number of PR's I had this trip just confirms it. I want to thank everyone who went and for all the lady's who participated in all the fun times! Hopefully it can get even better next year!





No comments:

Post a Comment