Thursday, March 8, 2018

Dirty South Roubaix 2018


Last weekend was the second running of the Dirty South Roubaix in Southern Illinois. Last year a last minute decision had me at the starting line and I had a great time. The area has some great views and nice gravel roads. This year there was a couple more classes and with my trend for the year I signed up in the single speed class. Coming off of a great ride at the Gravel Grovel, this didn't seem like that bad of an idea. All I can say is that I'm not really sure if it was a good idea.

We decided to head over on Friday night just to make the morning a little easier. We got there early enough to check in and get a bite to eat. Hanging out with a group of people is part of what makes racing even more fun. Riding the actual race is "fun", but most of the time you are suffering all alone in your head. At times there are others around you, but it can get very lonely in your head.



We got there in plenty of time and started to get ready. There was a lot more racers for this years race than last year. The weather looked like it would be a great day for a bike ride. I went back and fort on a few of the items that I should wear, like I normally do, but I think I made the right choice. Everyone was rolling around warming up and it was getting close to race start. I saw E2 talking to the one bike shop guy. Turns out that his rear derailleur cable broke when he was warming up and they were trying to fix it. I had to run back to the car and take off my jacket before the race started. When I got to the starting line it seems that he had found a loner bike to use. Thanks to Bob Kay for being such an awesome guy!!

I was lined up a little farther back than I wanted. As we took off down the road I found a few spots where the pack was spreading out that let me move farther up. I found myself in the area of riders that I wanted to be, but after the neutral roll out was over the pace kicked up. I was really hating that I decided to ride the SS. I was spinning faster than I wanted to just to try and hand on. Eventually I had to let some riders go and just try to hang on to what ever group I could. I did not remember this section being so long or flat, but then again, I had gears last year.

We finally got to the first big climb. I was trying to not go too fast since my heart rate was still off the charts from all the spinning. Even trying to go slow I was passing a lot of riders. After few corners and pitches there was a real steep section that had really loose rock. After spinning out a couple times and with my heart rate still elevated, I deiced to get off and walk a short section. I was not happy about it, but it really did help a lot and it was not very long. I hopped back on and kept moving, still passing riders.

Once I hit the bottom of the hill and made the left on to the road, I was all alone. This section really sucked with the added head wind. I was going slower than I would have been on a geared bike, but it was all I could do. After a little while a rider came rolling up. I hopped on his wheel and my pace picked up. I passed the first rest stop since I didn't really need it yet and hit the dreaded levee section. I was all alone, but seemed to be moving along better than last year. A little ways down the levee a group came rolling up. I saw E2 and Bob in there and hopped on to the back of the train. I took advantage of this while I could because I didn't feel like I would keep up. Some how I stayed with the group for the rest of the levee section. I was riding near my limit for most of the time, but I was moving way faster than I could on my own.

After this section I was happy they eased up a little before taking off again. I stayed with the group and at one point I even took a pull. I figured my speed at the front would be a lot slower than they would want to go, but after a little bit I looked back and I had a gap. I am not really sure how that happened. Some of the group caught back up to me and we all caught a couple new riders. This new group rode together a little while. I thought there was a gap forming so I jumped on that wheel. Not much later I found myself off the front again.

This is where I rolled up on a new group that seemed too strong for me to catch, but there I was. Tweety was in this group so I felt a lot better about how I was riding. I didn't think it would have been possible to catch up to her. I rode with this new group for several miles. I took a pull and when I was fading back, the next guy upped the pace a lot. I tried to jump on, but I was spinning way to fast to stay there and had to let them pull away. This next section of road hurt since I was out there all alone.

Eventually I did join a rider or so on and off, but we would never seem to stay together. Everyone was just riding there own pace and doing what they needed to do. I rolled in to the new section of the Trail of Tears. There was a guy taking pictures, so I felt the urge to ride a wheelie for him. It was not the greatest, but not bad for 3 hours in to a tough ride. Right past him I saw the road go up hill. The gravel in this section was also very soft. My legs did not think the wheelie was a very good idea, but I just kept turning pedals over. Still seeing riders on and off, but not really sticking with any for very long.


I crossed the road to the other side of the Trail of Tears and as I climbed there was a couple riders walking. One of them jumped on and followed me up the hill. We rode mainly together for the rest of this gravel section with a gap forming here and there, but always getting back together. We rolled in to the last rest stop. I was completely out of water and he apparently wanted a PBR. It was very tempting to have one, but I was still feeling like I needed to go. I took off on my own and rode almost all of the last section alone. I did see a few riders, but never really hooking up. The last paved climb hurt really bad. It seemed to go on for ever!! I knew at the top we would take a right and in to the finish. As I got to the right turn I saw the arrows painted to keep going. What!!! Dammit, I thought we were done. But, good thing it didn't take too long to make it to the next right and roll up to the finish. I felt so happy to be there that I had to ride a wheelie across the finish line.


I came in at 4:13 which was good enough for 3rd in SS and 38th overall. I also beat last years time by 4 min. It would have been interesting to see what gears would have done for me, but I will never know. I might have even been slower. I felt like I had lost a lot of time at the start when I was spun out. I also felt like I was slower on most of the road sections. Any time I could hook up with other riders, my pace would go up. This helped me out a lot and I owe all of those guys a huge thank you!! I just wish I knew who they all were. For most of the race I hated myself for riding the SS. After looking at all the numbers it doesn't seem to hurt as bad. I had a lot of PR's from last year and I am happy with my time. If I would decide to race the SS again next year I would probably run a little bigger gear to help with the flat stuff.

Thanks to all the volunteers and the promoters for all the work to put this event on. It was a blast both years and I plan on coming back next year if I can. If you didn't make it either year, then you missed out on some good riding and great views. Make sure and put it on your calendar next year!! 

1 comment:

  1. Nice race report! The event page should be up soon for the 2019 Dirty South. Registration will open soon also. Hope to see you on March 2nd 2019

    ReplyDelete