Tuesday, March 24, 2020

People's Pre-Apocalypse Pisgah Trip



This year's People's Pisgah trip was a little different than the last several years. The group was a little smaller, I was on a full suspension bike with gears and there was this little virus thing just getting talked about.The weather had been going back and forth about how much rain there was going to be. The forecast kept getting better as the week went on and I had high hopes. Most of us met up in Lexington to help split the drive up. The next morning we got a decent breakfast and hit the road.


On the way down it was determined that someone had forgotten their water bottles. This is probably something they should have thought about when packing. I had done a very rookie thing and didn't get my dropper post put on my bike until the night before we left. As normal, I had a couple issues on getting it all set up correctly. I got it to where I figured I was ok ish to ride. I mentioned that when we stopped it would be great to get my bike fixed. After a bunch of flack, I kind of figured I would have to ask about it and take my bike back later. But when we got to the shop everyone else was nice enough to tell me to take my bike in and see if they had time. 



I really did a rookie move by making such a big change the day before a big trip, but I just knew it needed to be done. I had some issues getting it working correctly. As it turns out, they guy at Squach bikes had a little issue getting it working too. Part of me was happy that it was not an easy fix that I just messed up, but the other part of me hated that it was taking so long for it to get working. Eventually the everyone else got restless and took the car to the house. Shortly after they left, my bike ended up being ready to go.


I rode up to the house since we were not very far away. I finished getting unloaded and we got ready to ride. We all got ready and headed out to the Ranger station. The route took us up 477 to ride Bennett. Then we headed over to Clawhammer to Maxwell and then did lower Black. At the bottom we took a left and did the short Sycamore loop to finish out the day. I was happy that my dropper was working in some areas. I could not believe how much difference it made on the technical sections.





I am not sure if just the added suspension would have made the most difference, but that added with the dropper post made a huge difference. I actually rode some sections that I am not sure that I have ever rode. The bike just did everything that I asked it to do. It didn't take very long and the lines I was looking at started to change to lines that I would not normally take. I was having a blast and ended up with a lot of Strava Pr's. I can't complain about that at all. I was re-assured how much I really like this area and wished that I lived here.



The next morning someone had a brilliant idea of a big ride. We asked the magic eight ball if we were gong to have a good ride and it said the outlook didn't look good. We didn't believe the 8 ball and headed out the door anyway. (spoiler alert, 8 ball was not wrong) We headed out from the house and rode out to 477. This time we too claw-hammer all the way to the top. This climb always seems to go on forever!! I really wish we had this much elevation at home. It is a complete different riding experience.




After the stair case we headed down toward the gauging station and up 5018. This road was just about as bad as Claw-hammer. I don't see how all of these climbs can be so long and some (not all) of the down hills seem to be so much shorter. Eventually we descended our way on to Squirrel. I got some more Pr's on Squirrel and eventually we were back to the stair case. This is where I was hurting pretty good and thinking about going my own way. I know I was slowing down and I was also holding everyone else up. The issue was if I went down the road, I would have done Black mtn again and then had to ride the road back to the house. If I followed the group, I could do some more gravel roads and end up at the fish hatchery and a better trail towards home.



It didn't really take that much to talk me in to going with them. I still was slowing down but I was riding and moving forward. This section was hard but the views made it just a little less painful. Eventually we hit the intersection where I was going to split off and head down to the hatchery.  Everyone else was going to head over and do a loop on Daniels ridge. As much as I would have enjoyed that loop I just didn't have the legs to even try.





I headed down a gravel road that I have never been on and toward the fish hatchery. Once I got there I started the long haul up the long climb to Bracken. This section was pretty miserable. I had some moments where I was really struggling. I thought for sure the other group was going to catch me on this climb. This is a very hard and long gravel climb that keeps on giving you false hope that you are at the top, but the down hill that follows is well worth it. I bombed down Bracken and back to the house. I cut the route short, but I can't really be too hard on myself since I still did 50 miles and over 6000 ft of elevation gain.




The next day everyone was moving a little slow. There was supposed to be rain in the morning, so we pushed the ride start time back quite a bit. The huge ride the day before sure helped make everyone not really want to ride. Eventually the weather got better and we headed out to the Ranger station again. We too off to 477 and we headed all the way up Claw-hammer to the stairs. This time we took the stairs up and did upper black to the Avery trail head. There had been a lot of good talk online about the re-routes on Avery. I was not disappointed at all. There was so many lines that I could see myself taking if I had the chance to ride this trail a lot more often. My first time down it was not the right time to take a lot of risks.



Avery was a blast but everyone's legs were feeling a little too heavy to head up to Maxwell again and down Black Mtn. Instead we just took 477 back to the car. Normally I would not have felt that great about this, but my body was hurting enough that I was ready to be back at the car. After we got moving again we did make a quick stop at the Hub for a beer or so.



The next day's plan was a gravel loop that we have done the last few yeas that takes us from down town up to Butter Gap. It is a long gravel climb, but the scenery is nothing to complain about. It is a long way up, but I like going this way over the road up toward Farlow gap. My legs were feeling pretty heavy by now, but I was still turning the pedals over and not having to push anything. We eventually make it all the way to the top and got ready to head down Butter Gap.



I have to admit again that I rode more of this trail than I had ever done before. I had more Pr's going down Butter and was having a blast. When we hit the bottom there was talk about heading over to Daniels again, but I think everyone legs were ready to head toward home. We climbed the 8 mile climb again and bombed down Bennett gap and headed to home. It is always a little sad to finish up what you know will be your last ride of the trip. It seems like so many days, but it really goes by so quickly. The only thing that makes it seem real is the fact that my legs can hardly move. They know what they had done over the last couple days.




That night we cut loose it seems a little more than some other nights. A lot of laughs and good times were had. I was given a lot of crap, but thankfully the crap was spread pretty even around the room. I don't think anyone really wanted the night to end since that meant we had to load up and head home. But, that time always comes and everyone was loaded up and on the road pretty early. I think everyone had a pretty good time. I do wish that a couple other people could have made it this year, but I was happy to have one join us for one of the days.


There are a lot of things that go thru my mind about this trip. First, I still love my SS, but man this bike really liked to ride in Pisgah. I had a blast riding this bike and it really thrives here. Even though I rode more stuff than ever before, I was really not happy with how the legs felt when the pitch pointed up. I just don't seem to have a lot of pop when the grade increases. I don't seem to have near the issue on the flatter stuff and this bike really had me going faster on the down hill sections. Another thing that was pretty high on my thoughts was this virus thing. We did a good job of being pretty isolated. Was it enough? Did we need to do more? It is really hard to say. Things were just starting and I felt like we were more responsible than most. I do wish that times were better, but this trip was a much needed thing right before everything started to get crazy. I really hope things continue to improve and it does not get as bad as other countries. I sure am ready to get back to some group rides and races. Hope to see you out there.


Thanks to my People's crew for always being a good time!! I'm looking forward to the next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment