Monday, December 2, 2019

2019 Gravel Grovel Swim

http://www.dinoseries.com/

If you have read my previous post about Gravel Grovel you would probably be wondering how much gears had helped me for this year. Well, you will have to check back next year and see if you have any more luck knowing that answer than I do. As much as I would really like to give this race a good run with a geared bike, this was not the year. First of all to give it really a good run I would have to be riding stronger than I was this year. I didn't get the training done leading up to the race like I would have liked and was not as strong as I should have been. Also as the race was getting closer and I was keeping my eye on the weather, it was looking like a very high chance of bad weather. I figured I needed to just take the bike that can handle the worst weather out of all the bikes and changed to the SS class.



So, this left me signed up for a class that the bike I planned on using was still not working. I ordered parts to get it back in working condition. All of the parts showed up on Wednesday and I felt like I had it working the best possible by Thursday. Friday I loaded up and headed to the horse camp. It didn't take too long after getting there that we were off and riding. We were not sure exactly what we were going to ride, but headed out the start to potentially do the loop back to the finish. It didn't take long for me to have a very loud noise coming from my bottom bracket area.


The roads were in amazing condition. It was too bad that the race was not still on Friday. This would have been primo conditions. We ended up doing the full 15 mile loop. It was nice being out on the bikes and enjoying the day, but I could tell that my chosen gearing might not have been the best idea. Before I signed up for this race I had put a different gear on this bike from what I had used the previous few years. I went with a little harder gear thinking it would pay off more on the road sections that I hate spinning out on. But, for this little easy ride, I could tell that my legs were not really ready for this gearing. It had also been since January that I had last rode this bike. There was 100% chance of rain that night and most of the day. This should be interesting to say the least.


So, after we got back to the car and changed I took the crank off and checked the bottom bracket. The bearings felt like they were shot. I pushed some grease in there and tried to make them work a little better and put it all back together. This proved to get ride of the very loud noise that it was making every pedal stroke. I knew it was going to end up wet or muddy and none of it would really matter by the end of the ride. I got things ready for the next day, tried to plan out what I was going to wear. I tried to limit how many beers I drank, but I might have been able to do a little better than I did. It was hard to control myself as we were getting crazy watching Shrek. Not exactly the crazy night that one would think, but it was really a good time.

I woke up a couple times during the night and it was raining pretty good every time. I was really hoping the forecast was wrong, but they actually got it right. It was going to be a long, wet and miserable day on the bike. I wouldn't expect anything else for this race. Eventually it was time to get moving. I think I did a pretty good with my morning routine and was ready in time. But, I still had to make a last minute bathroom stop as I was heading to the start line. It felt a little cooler than I wanted it to, but it was actually warmer than some years. That valley is always way colder than what the ridges are. It was not raining at the start and gave a little false hope that maybe it was done for the day.


I lined up closer to the front of the pack than previous years and that was my plan. I know I can get passed by a lot of people on the road, but the farther up I start, the longer I can hang with people. I felt like I was holding a good pace and keeping a lot of people close, but it didn't last very long and I was getting spit out of most of the groups I was with. I tried to just ride what I could and then climb that paved climb at my pace. I started to feel a little better there and has the road went up, I started to pass people. I felt fairly good all the way in to Combs road, but was once again, farther back than I would like to be.

Combs had some deep creek crossings and several wet sections. I felt like I was riding pretty well and actually was held up a couple times by people that could not ride a log or a creek. I made some passes and was rolling good enough. My legs let me know that they still didn't like the gearing I had, but would do what they could. I got off and walked most of combs just trying to save my legs. The rest of this section was wet and slick, but not that much different then most years.

Once I got over to the next section I figured the road past the bridge would be really hard. It was wet and all, but I had seen it in a lot worse conditions. I was rolling pretty well and had hope that the day would not be as bad as I thought. I caught up to a couple other riders as I came up to the turn on to the trail section that I believe is called Blue Creek Road. I struggled part of the way up this first climb. Once I messed up a little, I just got off and walked that part. Once I started to hit the corner where it is less steep, I got back on and finished that section. The down hill part was not easy at all since I could not see out of my glasses. The rain had started on and off since I can't remember. I was rolling faster then I could see, but somehow kept it upright.

Photo credit: Vanman

Once I hit the bottom this was the section that just about did me in. The puddles were huge and deep and so much of the trail was very soft and would suck the power out of you. My lower back was really revolting my gear choice and the amount of work required for traction. This section took way longer than most years and I pretty deep in the cave by the end of that section. I saw Van man as I hopped on to the road. This was a highlight of the day and this short encounter had me feeling at least a little better. This road section is always longer than I think it is and that extra spinning is good for my legs.

I decided to fill up my one water bottle at the rest stop in the parking lot. Normally I would roll on thru here, but then I would fill up on Mt. Baldy. The thought was that stopping here would help me get over the top of Baldy faster and then try to recover on the down hill. It was a great plan, but one really does not recover on a road down hill where I can't see and just holding on at 45 mph or more. But, at this moment it felt like a good move. I did climb Buffalo Pike slower than normal, so hard telling if it was a good idea or not.

Photo credit: Erika Wierman
Any thing after this point was pretty much a blur. I had ice pellets hitting my face at 45 mph coming down Baldy. I had ice pellets on and off for several miles. My toes and fingers were starting to get numb and I was having trouble holding on to the bars. The trail 21 section was a lot harder for me than most years. It was not easy to keep the bike rolling. The open field section was not easy at all and it was hard to find where I was even supposed to ride. The part of the FU loop that we did seemed to hurt just as bad as doing the full thing.

I was just trying to keep the pedals turning over. Any time I was rolling along on the road, I had my fingers tucked in behind the rest of my hand just trying to keep them warm. I kept moving my toes just trying to see if I could still feel them. I can't explain just how hard it was to take the right at Hickory Grove church to just to go a lolly pop loop and come right back to this place. The down hill section to home sure sounded like a great idea. Then, I would think about all the times that I had already suffered thru and if I decided to quit now, all of that was a waste. I also know how my brain works and I would have second guessed that decision for the rest of the winter. Maybe it would have given me some incredible motivation to train all winter, but I just couldn't do it. I figured I went this far why not do this one more loop and cross the finish line.

Photo credit: Erika Wierman

I mentally had myself sitting in 4th place. There was a guy that I went back and forth with a couple times but was currently behind me. I had not seen Nick at the start and had no idea where he was and actually figured he was in front of me. So, I made the right turn. I did see one rider heading the other way. It turned out to be Roger who ended up in 6th overall. I was feeling like most of the race would have gone thru already. It had been a little while since I have gone this way. This was new since there was a bridge out requiring a re-route. It was about like I expected and was rolling by the rest stop before I knew it. I figured I would hit it on the way back. Eventually I rolled passed Maumee and then after what seemed like way too many miles, here was trail 20. There was a guy who stopped right there and I went by. I knew the first ditch was not easy and even figured I would have to walk the other side. Well, last minute I thought I could get to the other side before getting off, well that didn't' work. Over the bars I went laying in the water running down the side of the trail. Doh! Back up and moving as fast as I could, trying not to let that guy pass me.

It was in this trail section that I passed one of my bikes. The guy I let ride it was not in a great place at this point and I got by him. I told him there was normally a rest stop at the the end of the trail, but when I got there, no rest stop to be found, Sorry. This is where I knew I was heading home. I just kept turning pedals over and moving forward. Eventually I made it to the corner, but there was no sign telling me to turn. It took me a second to think about it, but I knew I had to take the left. I really was hoping that not too many people went straight. That is why you need to know where you are supposed to go. Better safe than sorry.

I rolled in to the last rest stop, ate a banana and took off toward home. I saw a few people heading out toward the loop and even some of those thought they took a wrong turn. I was now on a mission to get to the warm clothes and beer. I was going as fast as I could ask, but then another rider caught me. I hoped on his wheel and away we went!! This really helped this last section go by. I was rolling way faster than I would have by myself. These are the times that I really wished I had some gears. We crossed the bridge and hit the finish line. We didn't have to cross the creek this year because of all the rain. The road dropped off to the finish line and looked a little sketchy. The guy in front of me hesitated and I think I could have passed him. But, that is not me. This guy just pulled me down the road way faster than I could have done alone, no need to pass him now.

The pile of wet and muddy clothes

I crossed the line in a time of 5:30. This seems like a reasonable time. I really should be happy with it and overall I guess I am. I feel like this was the toughest conditions out of the other 10 Gravel Grovels that I have done. The winning time was about 30 minutes slower than normal, so I really should be happy with finishing 30 minutes off of my desired time. I mean I didn't feel like the pencil was sharpened enough for me to have a record time for me. That doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. I ended up in 4th place SS and 25th place overall. I am not sure if the gearing or the weather played the most part of me being slower. I can't help but think what if. Hitting the podium sure would have been nice. I guess maybe next year.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out this year. Phil at Adventure's Recreation has done for me way more than I can ever thank him. ESI Grips for keeping my hands happy on all of my bikes. CarboRocket for always keeping me hydrated and on the gas. Honey Stinger for making products that I still want to eat no mater how many hours the ride has been. Trucker Co for keeping my tires holding air and my brakes stopping me. Twin Six for some incredible gear that also makes me look better than I normally do. It is hard to believe that the season is over and time to start thinking about next year already. Let's see if I can make next year even better.


1 comment:

  1. Great job, Eric. It was definitely a test of mental toughness. It looks like only 54 of the 188 people preregistered finished, so you were in the select minority (and on a single speed).

    ReplyDelete